I used to get stressed out when the things I wanted where not happening on my desired timing. I wasted a lot of years pushing, striving and trying to break down the barriers that were keeping me from that next promotion, having more money, finding a romantic partner, forming a family, etc.
As I look back, I see how I added a lot of unnecessary stress and worry to my life on things I had little control over. As I have gotten older, I realize that all my striving and manipulating to make things work out in my favor often made things worse. In my eagerness to fulfill my desire, I often settled for the first thing that came my way that looked like what I desired without giving much thought if it was the best fit for me.
Everything happens in its own perfect timing.
This is one of the greatest lessons I have learned these past few years. Everything has its own timing and you have no control over that fact, so you might as well relax and enjoy the ride.
I am not saying we should not have goals and desires, we should, for they bring clarity and focus to our lives. We can use our desired goals to help us attain the tools we need. They can also help us distinguish what efforts are worthwhile in our quest. But it is nonsense to believe we can will our goals to happen on our timing.
Here are a few steps to help you achieve what you want.
1) Make sure the things you desire come from within you and not because something motivates you to please others. You will run out of energy trying to do things to impress others and you will fail. Goals aligned with the true you will always fill you with the energy and passion to accomplish them.
2) Do what is in front of you. There are no shortcuts in life, you will arrive at your goals by taking the few steps that present themselves to you daily. They will build on each other.
3) Don’t settle for the first thing that looks good. It was not meant for you to take every opportunity that comes your way. Always check within first whenever you run across something that is tempting you. Time you waste on an option you are not that crazy about takes your attention away from accomplishing your goals.
4) Live your life ready to hoist your sails at full mast when the winds you were looking for begin to blow. When the door you were looking for opens, sail through it.
5) Have faith that the universe is conspiring with you. When you are pursuing your true path, the universe will provide the resources you need. All that it asks of you is to be patient and use good judgment when opportunities present themselves.
Everything has its own timing and there is nothing you can do to change it. Set your goals then relax and enjoy the present moment while you continue to take every step forward that you can. Life will become less stressful and much more enjoyable.
Going through a difficult life transition?
You might enjoy reading my latest memoir, Catch and Release: One Man’s Improbable Search for True Love and the Meaning of Life. It is my story about starting life over again. Download a PDF of the first 5 chapters of Catch and Release for free. To order your inscribed copy in either hardcover or paperback, click here (https://guillermovidal.me/shop/). Catch and Release is also available on Kindle here (https://www.amazon.com/Catch-Release-Improbable-Search-Meaning-ebook/dp/B07F26N1HS/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1535494644&sr=1-2). You can also subscribe to my free weekly newsletter on my website and receive motivation and encouragement to help you on your way to recovery.